Re: Any plans to add Pale Moon browser to the repository?

fidelis <fidelis016@gmail.com> writes:

> Btw in in regards to a conversation I had with one of you about Pale
> Moon browser being added to the repository and them saying you weren't
> allowed to.

> "Repository/package maintainers are free to add unaltered versions of
> the Linux browser to their repositories. Noncommercial, Open Source
> operating systems are exempt from binary destribution limitations if the
> browser is otherwise not materially changed or reconfigured.

> Please see the redistribution license:
> http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml specifically
> point 8.

I'm afraid that we can't include Pale Moon in Debian with that sort of
license.  The "not materially changed or reconfigured" part is an obvious
violation of DFSG #3 since it prohibits large classes of derivative works.
More subtlely, it's also a violation of DFSG #6 and (sort of) #8: Debian
derivatives that are commercial distributions would not be allowed to
include it, and we don't accept software in Debian main that has these
sorts of license terms that limit the ability of derivative distributions
to include it.  Even if Debian itself will satisfy the licensing terms.

(Please note: this response is based mostly on the information included in
your message.  I only looked cursorily at the actual license of Pale Moon
to confirm that it looks very non-free by our definitions.)