Software Version Issue

Hi:

I have been using Debian for sometime and am happy with the distribution.  However I recently experienced a problem with the Gimp supplied by Debian and contacted the Gimp organization with the issue I was having.  I subsequently discovered through this contact that the version of Gimp supplied by Debian Wheezy is old.

How do I make sure that the software Debian supplies is the most current?  What change do I need to make to the sources list to get up to date software?

Peter
peter_zoeller@rogers.com