Re: Sponsoring a Tails hackfest?

Hi Ian,

Quoting Ian Jackson (2014-05-06 15:05:38)
> Jonas Smedegaard writes ("Re: Sponsoring a Tails hackfest?"):
>> Quoting Holger Levsen (2014-05-05 12:24:41)
>>> Debian Edu sid is 100% Debian.
>> Does that mean bug#311188 is fixed?  Or have things changed since
>> your decision to lower that bugreport?
>
> I don't think it is right to criticise the Debian Edu developers for
> the approach they have taken.

Neither do I.

I criticise the claim that Debian Edu is a pure subset of Debian, as
defined at <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends#Terminology>.

> I fully understand why Debian's policy rules exist (indeed, the rule
> about not editing conffiles, referred to in #311188, was first
> promulgated by me).  But I also understand why people want to write
> configuration helper packages.

I fully agree.

> That our system doesn't properly support configuration helper packages
> is a deficiency in Debian.  It is a difficult technical problem, whose
> solution will probably involve a good deal of both technical effort
> and consensus-building and negotiation.  It is quite understandable
> that a group such as Debian Edu, who are trying to solve a particular
> problem, choose not to shave that particular yak and instead live with
> the consequences.
>
> If this situation displeases you, the right approach is to try to help
> improve Debian's (meta)configuration architecture.  Posting brickbats
> (or sarcastic messages) about the Debian Edu team is not appropriate.

What displeases me is Debian Edu claiming to be fully inside Debian when
in fact their configuration handling is not.

Regards,

 - Jonas