Re: The proper place to announce GRs (was Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?))

On 2014-10-13 21:11, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:30:43PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
Whilst researching for a reply to a different post in this thread on
-user (the thread sadly spans at least three lists), I realised that
the constitution doesn't say where GRs should be announced, and I
couldn't find any advice on the subject in a scan over policy, either.
FWIW, Constitution §4.2.5 says:

> 5. Proposals, sponsors, amendments, calls for votes and other formal
   >    actions are made by announcement on a publicly-readable
   >    electronic mailing list designated by the Project Leader's
   >    Delegate(s); any Developer may post there.

Cheers,

Ahhh... this is like RFPs and legal announcements - as long as you
post it somewhere, you're covered.  As opposed to requiring posting in
a highly visible place.

No, that's entirely appropriate language for the constitution, which is *very* difficult and time-consuming to change. It's up to the Leader's Delegate to have a policy about how and where GRs are announced, and that policy is very clearly stated at https://www.debian.org/vote/howto_proposal.

(Even if the constitution were easy and quick to change, that wouldn't mean it should be done trivially or lightly, of course.)

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

<directhex> i have six years of solaris sysadmin experience, from
            8->10. i am well qualified to say it is made from bonghits
			layered on top of bonghits