Re: The proper place to announce GRs (was Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?))

Hi,

Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 06:33:49PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> You do understand that we have procedured at Debian to handle stuff
>> like GR proposals, right? And that procedure involves posting to
>> debian-vote, so doing that was the right thing to do.
>
> Whilst researching for a reply to a different post in this thread on -user (the
> thread sadly spans at least three lists), I realised that the constitution
> doesn't say where GRs should be announced, and I couldn't find any advice on
> the subject in a scan over policy, either.
>
> I think we should clearly indicate where GRs should be announced. ("Should", I
> suppose I'm arguing, not "must").

It's documented on vote.debian.org[1].

  [1] <https://www.debian.org/vote/howto_proposal>

> Unless I'm mistaken, a change to Constitution (to include a reference to where
> GRs should be posted) would need to be achieved via GR.
>
> Alternatively, we could document it as a "should" in policy, although there may
> not yet be an appropriate section to do so.
>
> Does anyone have strong feelings on this?

I think both would be the wrong place: having technical details (such as
mailing list names) in the Constitution makes it hard to change
them. And Policy documents packaging standards for the distribution, not
procedural details for the project.

Ansgar