Re: Update to reimbursement procedure (now: max 3 months after expense)

On 07/10/14 at 09:18 +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 08:12:49AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > Providing a rough estimate should not be a problem, given it is already
> > required to get pre-approval.
>
> If it's already required to get pre-approval, why ask to send it again?

In order to keep a flexible and lightweight process, sprints are usually
approved for a global (not per-person) amount: the sprint coordinator
collects estimates for each participant, and then requests approval for
the overall budget. But it often happens that a participant only
provides a wild guess, or that the coordinator guesses for the
participant, using an estimate from a participant from the same country,
for example.

That's not very important at that point of the process, but at the end
of the 3m period, it's useful to get a more accurate view of the cost of
sprints (for example, to build an overview of Debian's budget). If the
participant provided an accurate-enough estimate, s/he can just re-use
that when informing about delayed reimbursement. If not, then at this
point, the participant needs to do the work to prepare an estimate.

We could switch to a process where all participants providesan accurate
amount prior to sprints approval, that serves as the max value for
reimbursement, but I don't think that this would be popular. :)

Lucas