Re: Update to reimbursement procedure (now: max 3 months after expense)

Philipp Hug <debian@hug.cx> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>> Given the nature of Debian, I suspect that our travel reimbursements
>> generally end up falling into one of the untaxed gift buckets of money, at
>> least in the US, so the same reasons wouldn't apply.
>
> Usually you want to book expenses in the year they happen to make it
> easier to compare between different years and there might also be
> legal/tax reasons to do that.
> Reporting an expense from january in december is usually not a big
> issue, but if you do this in the next year after the books have been
> finalized, the expense will be booked in the wrong year.

And how much difference is that liable to make to a tax exempt
organisation?

This seems like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I can imagine someone that really needs the money might well find that
they have to work rather hard after taking time off work for Debian.  If
being busy results in them missing the deadline, this change will punish
then for their generosity, which if they have any sense will result in
them not wanting to do that sort of thing again.

I don't really see the benefit that is supposed to come from this change.

Does it take less time to deal with an expense request submitted after 2
months than one submitted after 6?

Is it going to upset the profit statement we have to file with the SEC? ;-)

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. I don't think I've submitted any expenses to Debian, but if I
needed to I'd be quite likely to miss a 3 month deadline because my
paperwork tends to follow a quarterly cycle driven by UK VAT
submissions, and I could easily imagine being too busy to do the Debian
paperwork at the first chance, which could mean that I'd only get to it
after 6 or 9 months.