Re: CoC / procedural abuse

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:08:11PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> > > Can we just generate that procmail file or at least the section in
> > > question?
> >
> > Not easily, no.
>
> It's difficult to imagine this presenting a problem. Procmail reads
> on-disk config on each invocation - it doesn't run as a daemon - and
> it's trivial to include additional rules files.

Generating a file is trivial. Generating the correct file in the correct
location so that it is included from the correct procmail file (but not
the wrong procmail file!) is not trivial. We have lots of lists, and
each list has lots of procmail.

That's why the ideal approach does not involve generating procmail. Ean
is discussing with listmaster@ to generate script(s) to implement such
an interface.

America was far better suited to be the World's Movie Star. The
world's tequila-addled pro-league bowler. The world's acerbic bi-polar
stand-up comedian. Anything but a somber and tedious nation of
socially responsible centurions.
 -- Bruce Sterling, _Distraction_ p122