Re: DEP-5 (copyright file format) ... gap with practice

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 11:48:38PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> The debmake command (in python) offers such copyright file
> verification against the current source files by running it in the
> source tree as.

Thanks Osamu, I meant to check the implementation before replying, but
ran out of time before doing that --- so better ask here directly and
let others know than forget about this :)

Is debamake's implementation of this feature based on the same corpus of
"well-known license paragraphs" than that mentioned in this thread
earlier on? If so, I'd say that it would be best not to scatter that
corpus of information in multiple places, as divergences might be quite
annoying.

Or is debmake only comparing past debian/copyright declarations by the
maintainer with the licenses it can currently infer from the upstream
package? That would be tremendous help for the maintainer, but it's a
different issue than the one we are discussing here.

Finally, it's great that debmake can help maintainer with this, but
unfortunately that won't help maintainers which are not using debmake.
Given that lintian is a tool that all maintainers are supposed to use
(and also a tool for which we have a project-wide monitoring
infrastructure at lintian.d.o), I believe it'd be much better to
integrate in lintian these warnings, than to have them emitted by
various tools which are opt-in for individual maintainers.

That said, I'll definitely start playing with debmake -k on my own
packages and see how it goes :-)
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .