Re: open source or free software?

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 12:28:51AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> This is an absurd misrepresentation. No-one is threatening to prevent you
> using the words the FSF disapprove of.

And yet, an argument about the merits of saying "free software" versus saying
"open source" is nothing more than an attempt to push a particular political
stance. It's a waste of time and divisive all at once, when there are more
important things to talk about.

> And the rest of your mail is insulting.

Hardly. A Lewis Carroll quote to illustrate my feelings about this form of
zealotry and the a mention of one of the most grievous shortcomings of the
GNU/Linux-based world today hardly qualify as insult. The notion that a
portion of the community doesn't know what they're saying when they use
choose to use certain language *is* insulting, however.

This particular discussion doesn't a have anything important at the end, like
the recent systemd ruction. It's conflict for its own sake, and I'd prefer
that it be kept where it was. I can think of no reason why it has to move to
debian-project from IRC beyond a hope that the argument can be won by
pressing down from above, as it were.

--
Mason Loring Bliss  ((   If I have not seen as far as others, it is because
 mason@blisses.org   ))   giants were standing on my shoulders. - Hal Abelson