Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 03:52:46PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 11:14:07 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>
> > On jeu., 2014-08-07 at 23:57 +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> >> Hi Debian,
> >
> > About the decision itself, as Debian Xfce main maintainer, I honestly
> > don't really care. I don't think the default desktop matters that much
> > on Debian (while I guess it means a lot for Ubuntu, for example). I
> > actually think having no default desktop would be just fine, instead
> > having the current 3-4 desktop installation media. Then anyone can pick
> > the DE she likes.
>
> (...)
>
> I really (and still) like the idea of having no default desktop at all
> and let the users decide by themselves if they even want to get a DE when
> performing a DVD based installation.
>
> Greetings,

Give them a choice of the main 3 or 4 with thumbnails of each at default
view with short explanation: <ie> Gnome-Shell for modern computers with
3D capability: XFce4 for older computers with low memory and/or older
video cards not capable of playing advanced graphical games etc.,

Then direct each to appropriate DVD/CD/Netinstall image to download or
sources list to add.