Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Quoting Camaleón (2014-08-08 18:26:22)
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 12:09:56 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>>> I really (and still) like the idea of having no default desktop at
>>> all and let the users decide by themselves if they even want to get
>>> a DE when performing a DVD based installation.
>>
>> Including all potential DE options on the main install disc (so the
>> user can make that choice in a no-net install) will mean a huge
>> bandwidth increase, not to mention that probably means bluray-only.
>
> I think there's no need to make any change about the DE options for
> the first DVD, current ones (gnome, kde, xfce and lxde, AFAIK) are OK
> as long as the installation menu is adapted to ask the user which DE
> to install or to no install a DE at all.

I guess many of those who can afford a system with Blueray reader and
waste bandwidth downloading an image for Blueray (which is needed for
offering multiple desktops during install, I believe) likely would want
a shiny desktop like GNOME or KDE.

I don't expect that to be a common install media, however.

>> There already exist netinst media that solve that problem much better by
>> including no DE packages on the media.
>
> Netinst media and other install options are not the main subject of this
> thread.

Wrong.

This thread is about "default desktop", not "default desktop on CD/DVD".

It is about which default we suggest for our users.

 - Jonas