Re: Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

Hi Scott,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:58:16PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:59:42AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > This is to propose a general resolution under §4.1.5 of the constitution
> > > to propose a Debian code of conduct.
> >
> > So I've put up a vote page with my current understanding at:
> > https://www.debian.org/vote/2014/vote_002
> >
> > I've made some minor changes since the version that's there now.
> >
> > I intend to mail debian-devel-announce about this soon, so
> > feedback about the current page is welcome.
>
> In regards to the  "In case of problems" section:-
> ; will the person being banned be notified?

AIUI, that is the case right now (and yes, I think it should be).

> Should this be mentioned in the code of conduct lest it be inferred that the
> process will be secret?

I don't think the CoC should spell out procedure for listmasters (or
administrators of any other communication medium, for that matter). The
"in case of problems" section shows that we want to enforce this CoC,
but it does not go into too much detail; that is, on purpose, left to
listmasters' discretion.

> ; now that banning is being 'formalized' - will banning people mean
> the post for which they were banned will be published?

There is usually no reason to publicly shame people who have been
banned. The fact that we don't want people to misbehave on our lists
shouldn't mean that we have to misbehave ourselves.

As such, I don't expect a public list of bans.

Having said that, given the above bit about procedure, there is nothing
stopping listmasters from doing so if they think that is necessary.

> If not will the description of the lists be changed to reflect they
> will no longer be effectively "unmoderated"?

I don't think that should happen. Banning someone from our mailinglists
for misbehaviour is not the same thing as moderation.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/