Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 06:28:39PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > Is it really the case that making the logs available as public text
> > files produces too much search engine exposure etc. (which is I guess
> > the real concern) ?
>
> Several of our derivatives (at least Maemo, Ubuntu) have public logs
> of their IRC channels.
>
> Personally I think it would bring some much needed transparency to
> what is becoming one of the more essential Debian communication
> channels to be on. Just like we archive mailing lists and record
> DebConf talks/BoFs, we should publicly log IRC channels.

I am generally in favour of more transparency. Logging official
project IRC channels would fit well with that.

However, I find that it's very difficult to extract useful information
from voluminous IRC logs, and official channels are likely to be
voluminous. The logs are hard to read, and there's so much irrelevant
discussion mixed with the parts that one is looking for that it is
much harder to find what one wants. IRC has no threading, so finding
the related parts of a discussion is not easy. This is a stark
contrast with, say, mailing lists.

Thus I suspect that the logs won't be very useful.

I would prefer a culture where IRC discussions are ephemeral, and any
useful information should end up in debian/changelog, mailing lists,
git commit messages, wiki.debian.org, or any of the other places where
we already put information.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers