Re: State of the debian keyring

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 08:28:53PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> I think it would be useful to see an update to debian-devel-announce,
> explaining what's the current vulnerability status of 1024bit keys, and
> asking to please switch NOW.
>
> As a potential follow-up plan, I propose this one:

Seconded.  If I'm reading Clint's reports right, the aspect that worries
me the most is that in 1 month (the delay between the two reports) we've
only got 10 additional 4K keys, which is a very slow progress rate.

I agree with Enrico that the next step is communicating clearly to
project members the *urge* of switching, and I also agree that we should
actively nag people to do the switch.

Regarding the doc on the migration, I don't have clear proposals on how
to make it better, but I AOL other comments in this thread: I've been
misreading the text myself for quite a while (or maybe it did change and
I didn't notice? no idea) as mandating a third-party to request the
change. And I've been chatting with various DDs over time who were
postponing the change due to that extra step --- yes, I agree that's a
silly reason, but given the urge of migrating I think we should make the
procedure as simple as possible and make sure that people *know* it is
simple.

Just my 0.02 EUR,
Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .