Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

Ean Schuessler writes ("Re: GR proposal: code of conduct"):
> I feel we must see clearly that the CoC and its related ban punishment
> effectively amounts to a nascent "court system" for the project.

I don't think that's the case and I don't want to see it that way.

>  A comprehensive ban is effectively a "death sentence" for its
> target because, from the perspective of the project, that person
> will cease to exist.

This isn't really true IMO.  Someone who is banned can always send a
message privately to a sympathetic contributor, who can forward it if
it seems relevant or interesting.  (I have in fact done this for a
contributor who was under some kind of cloud, when they had a relevant
and constructive contribution to make.)

I think that this is a very important practical safety net.  It also
brings the possibility of a review.

> I hope many of you will agree that while the CoC may be a necessary
> feature for our community it should be governed in a transparent,
> policy-driven and unbiased manner with detailed record keeping and
> peer review.

I disagree.  I don't think that making these processes heavyweight is
a good idea.  I have had very poor experiences with "policy-driven"
processes of this kind.

I get the impression from your mail that you would vote against the
CoC in its current form.  That's your prerogative, of course.  Do you
intend to draft a counterproposal and if so how long do you expect
that process to take ?  The CoC in its current form has been
extensively discussed on -project already, of course.

Ian.