Re: Debian services and Debian infrastructure

On 01/04/2014 11:56 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> 3. to provide a place to experiment with new services
>    + create a "Debian cloud" with virtual machines to develop new services
>      (maybe providing manually-created VMs would be enough -- I'm not sure we
>      need a complex infra such as OpenStack).

My first remark about this would be: do we have any other cloud software
that can extensively use something like Ceph for distributed storage?
Because for me, distributed storage is a mandatory piece which we have
to implement when thinking about cloud computing. Otherwise, we have no
serious redundancy for storage, and then we have funny issues like what
happened with the HDD of Alioth.

If the DSA wont go with OpenStack, please name another (comparable)
solution that would fit.

Also, I hereby propose my help if the DSA need to setup OpenStack. I
probably can also involve people from eNovance. They have the expertise
to deploy OpenStack using full HA (which I don't know yet).

By the way, we need galera in Debian! :)

On 01/07/2014 04:47 PM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Since DSA is using puppet extensively ATM, wouldn't it be better to
> have a documented procedure on how to set up a VM or chroot or similar
> environment that uses DSA's puppet recipes to set up a development
> instance? That way, people can make changes where necessary (while
> obviously understanding these changes may or may not be acceptable),
> don't have to worry about making a mistake and killing someone else's
> machine (after all, it's their own machine), etc.

The puppet receipt for setting-up OpenStack are open source, and
eNovance actively works on that right now (to have a "private cloud"
product based on just that...). I don't think it's fully production
ready right away now, but every day, it's taking a better shape, and I
think it's nearly up to speed and could be completely useable in a few
weeks.

Another thing: I've been providing a bit more than a dozen VMs based on
GPLHost Xen solution (I am the main owner of GPLHost, and it's been now
more than 10 years...) for various people within the Debian project. The
only requirement was that a DD would ask and write his PGP key ID in the
registration form, plus the hosted project had to be related to free
software in a way or another. Up to now, there's still some space
available. I'm not sure if this means that there's not a lot of need for
it, or if this is because this is not well known enough. Anyway, I'm
very happy I could help, but I'm still a bit frustrated that this isn't
really part of the Debian official infrastructure.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Note that I'm not subscribe to -project, which is why I missed this
thread, however I'd be very interested in helping.