Re: mailing list auto subscriptions

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe every new DD or DM should be auto subscribed to -devel, -project and
> -devel-announce (and -private for DDs), best with the usual "someone
> subscribed you for this, please confirm" confirmation mail, not sure how to
> make this reality (as in: how to change DAM procedures), probably by first
> achieving consenus here?! And then?
>
> (This mail is also to move a $conversation from -private to here.)
>
> Those 3-4 lists should be read by anyone (as in DD/DM) anyway. This way, we'd
> gently push new contributors to lists we'd expect them to read anyway...

There really is only list that all DDs are expected to read, and that's
d-d-a. [1]

My understanding is that to date, we don't auto-subscribe new
developers, because some may chose to read it through other sources
than a direct email subscription.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to making d-d-a an auto-subscription
for new DDs, if they can still unsubscribe in the event they want to
use RSS or some other alternate technology or email address to read
the announcements.

That said, I believe it would be highly counterproductive to force
-project and -devel on everyone, since both lists are high traffic and
target different areas of interest.

I don't have a strong opinion on which, if any, mailing lists new DMs
should be subscribed to. At first blush d-d-a seems like it could be
appropriate as well.

Cheers,
Brian

[1] - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper