Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

]] Tollef Fog Heen

Hi all,

>  - the various bits and bobs that are currently hosted on
>  static.debian.org

I thought it's time for a small update about this.  As of about an hour
ago, planet and metadata.ftp-master are now served from the Fastly CDN,
and it all seems to be working quite smoothly.

We've uncovered some bits we want to make work better, such as adding
and removing backend servers automatically when they become unavailable
or are added to the static DNS RR, purging content from the caches when
it's updated and possibly some other minor bits.

This does sadly mean we don't currently have IPv6 for those two
services, something that's being worked on by Fastly.

As for the privacy concerns raised in the thread, I've had quite a lot
of discussions with Fastly about how they operate wrt privacy. They
don't store request-related logs (only billing information), so there
are no URLs, cookie, client IPs or similar being stored.  Varnish has an
ephemeral log which they go through a couple of times a minute where
some of that information is present, but it never leaves the host
(unless we enable logging to an endpoint we control).  I'm quite content
with how they're handling the privacy concerns.

In the interest of full disclosure I should also mention that I'm
starting to work for Fastly in a few days time.  I don't believe that
has influenced my views or judgements here.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen