Re: Debian services and Debian infrastructure

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 11:07:49PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> It's sgran who's been thinking about how to do this, but afaik he's seen
> close to zero interest from developers for it, so it's not happened
> yet.  I don't think we need anything from the DPL as such, but if people
> are actually interested in something like this happening, saying so
> would be a good start.

o/

I am currently working on http://ci.debian.net (WIP), to run
autopkgtest (aka DEP-8) test suites.

While developing on my own machine is completely fine, to actually try
it out I need external resources even during development because of the
demand in processing power: current with only ~200 packages having DEP-8
tests the longest run already took 14h to complete (in a single VM
running test suites sequentially).

It's currently running the test suites with schroot, but to make sure
every test suite runs on a clean environment I will need to switch to
using fresh VM's for each test suite. Also parallelizing the runs will
be required to have timely results.

The proof of concept is running on a Amazon EC2 VM from Debian's
credits.

I am a little ambivalent on this: on one hand, having this kind of
resource available in a DSA-managed environment would have been useful.
On the other hand, first prototyping it somewhere where we have free
credits helps in knowing how much we will actually need from
non-ephemeral, DSA-managed resources when the service gets to a
production-ready state, so we might be saving DSA's most precious
resource which is people's time.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>