Re: GR: Selecting the default init system for Debian

On Sun, 2014-01-19 at 01:01 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> [ M-F-T set to debian-vote@l.d.o, not seeking sponsors yet see below. ]
>
> Hi!
>
> I think that forcing a decision through the TC at this time was very
> premature and inappropriate, because I don't think enough effort had
> been made to reach consensus (failing §6.3(6)),

What would you consider to be enough effort?

> because the TC seems to have been trying to do design work (failing
> §6.3(5)),

Did you also read the last sentence of that parargraph?

> and because even if they do have the power to decide on this (likely
> requiring a 3:1 majority in any case if they need to override the
> sysvinit maintainers, per §6.1(4)),

The main change required to sysvinit would, I assume, be to remove the
Essential flag.  I do not think that use of the Essential flag is at the
discretion of the package maintainer by default.

> I feel it's inappropriate for a small group
> of individuals to forcibly decide the global direction for the entire
> project.

Important as the init system is, it does not 'decide the global
direction for the entire project'.

> Such decisions, on issues that are as much technical as
> strategic, political or of a subjective design nature, can have huge
> implications for what contributors or other Debian-based projects
> might have to work on, or stop working on.

On the contrary, I think such decisions are precisely what the Technical
Committee is for.

[...]
> In general, I've been quite unhappy with the excessive invocation of
> the TC recently, with developers seeming to view this as a first,
> rather than absolute last, resort.
[...]

Constitutionally, a GR is the last resort in that it can overrule every
other decision.  A GR can settle a decision finally but does *not*
create consensus.  So if you honestly think that more time should be
allowed for a consensus to arise, perhaps you should propose a GR that
says this issue is not ripe for the TC to decide on and sets some
minimum delay before it can be brought to the TC again.

Ben,

--
Ben Hutchings
friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.