Re: a SIP or XMPP service for debian.org

On 22/12/13 10:52, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun Dec 22, 2013 at 10:44:08 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>

>> I've started a wiki on this topic, it provides a detailed plan from
>> start to finish:
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/UnifiedCommunications/DebianDevelopers
>>
>> As one of the leading free software projects and given Debian's
>> particularly outspoken attitude that we do not rely on third party
>> "free" services there are compelling reasons to try and finally
>> implement this entirely using our own packages and infrastructure.
>>
>> * do people generally agree with it?
>>
>> * would the DSA team be willing to provide and support the underlying
>> infrastructure for this or have it on any existing servers?
>

> zobel@kvasir ~ % ldapsearch -LLL -x -H ldap://db.debian.org -b ou=hosts,dc=debian,dc=org '(host=cilea)' purpose
> dn: host=cilea,ou=hosts,dc=debian,dc=org
> purpose: voip.debian.{net,org}
>
> zobel@kvasir ~ %
>

> For more details, please contact Phil Hands.

I've had some ongoing discussions with Phil but ultimately, like SMTP
for debian.org, these things would need to be formally accepted by DSA
at some point.

Amongst other things, Phil commented on the password situation but it is
ultimately up to the LDAP administrator to decide whether H(A1) hashed
passwords are supported and whether they can be accessed by these processes.

cilea.debian.org is just one host located in Europe - it is good to
start with.  Once it is all running, the TURN processes would probably
need to be set up in additional regions - are we likely to have
resources for that or is this something that would take resources away
from other initiatives?