Re: The "tell me if I'm being stupid" statement

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 01:30:17PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> Do we need explicit statements like this? I always had the impression
> that everyone feels free to ask people to improve their behaviour (at
> least in recent years) and that most people don't have a problem being
> asked to improve their behaviour.

Agreed. It really should be expected to be the default, with no need of
stating explicit consent to it.

In part, because "no smoking" signs just make smokers want to smoke
more[1].

In part because it sort of implies that the default is that you can't
tell a friend if they're being stupid unless they have an explicit
statement in the signature saying that you can.

It would make logical sense, in this respect to have a signature saying
"Please don't tell me if I'm being stupid: I know I am"[2] but I don't
see this being usefully picked up anytime soon.

Ciao,

Enrico

[1] http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/05/no_smoking_sign.php
[2] and a procmail filter handling mail with such a signature appropriately
--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>