Re: Can CC BY 2.0 be upgraded to 3.0 ?

On 13-09-13 22:18, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:46:38PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>> Dear FTP team,
>>
>> I found #675435 where it was written that CC-BY-SA-2.0 was not suitable
>> for Debian, and now I am confused.
>>
>> Could you let us know your position on the possiblity to accept CC-BY-SA-2.0 by
>> upgrading it to 3.0 through its clause 4b ?
>
> I missed this thread until I stumbled on a bug.
>
> 4b applies to derivative works only. Underscores mine.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Yes, 4b allows you to "distribute, publicly display," etc, only
derivative works, but that's because the whole of section 4 only applies
to derivative works (i.e., section four exists simply because it's a -SA
license).

Section 3, however, does seem to allow to "distribute and publicly
perform the work".

Am I missing something?

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/