Re: Authorizing minor expenses by DSA without prior DPL approval

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:44:36AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 10:17 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> >> $400 over what period of time?

> > Over no specified period of time, other than "until the DPL approves the
> > expense". So the "brake" against possible craziness is the DPL approval,
> > not a time-limit.

> That will be very hard for the SPI treasurer to track, so you'll need to
> be aware that SPI can't realistically enforce the policy.  Leaving aside
> that the DSA can request reimbursement from the other NPOs.

> The only policy we can enforce would be "if the DSA asks for any
> individual expense under $400, pay it, unless they ask for $400 severl
> times in quick succession, in which case query the DPL".

> Also, we will need the DPL to officially inform SPI who the DSA is, and
> whenever there is a DSA change.

> If that all works for you, then I have no further comment.  It would
> certainly make things easier for the Treasurer to be able to just pay
> these expenses without needing to look for, and track, approval from the
> DPL.

The proposed change doesn't require SPI to reimburse requests before they've
been officially and individually approved by the DPL; it only allows the DSA
team to spend the money in the knowledge that it fits Debian's guidelines
and *will* be approved by the DPL.

In fact, if I understand Lucas's proposal correctly, it does *not* authorize
SPI or other Trusted Organizations to directly reimburse DSA expenses before
they've been signed off by the DPL.