Re: Paths into Debian

On 8/23/13 3:29 PM, Moray Allan wrote:
> At DebConf13 I was interested to hear people's views in the discussion
> session on "Paths into Debian".
>
> The video of the session is available here:
>
> http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2013/debconf13/high/999_Paths_into_Debian.ogv
>
> http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2013/debconf13/low/999_Paths_into_Debian.ogv
>

> I have also put up a copy of my introductory slides, though they really
> just contain headings for what I said/for discussion, rather than much
> content:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~moray/paths-into-debian.pdf
>

> Some of the topics discussed:
>
> - How do people come to Debian?
> - Possible routes in, and the support offered to different types of
> contributor
> - What we advertise about routes in, compared to other distributions
> - Other things we could do, including a list of initial tasks for for
> new people
> - Whether/how it would be useful to promote more local Debian groups
>

> The two points that seemed to gather most potential volunteers were
> improving the Debian website pages about how to contribute, and
> encouraging more local Debian meetings -- I hope that some of the
> apparent enthusiasm on these points can now be channelled into
> productive action!

I think we have missed opportunities to bring more people into Debian
like not taking enough attention into support Raspberry Pi. (Which
created Raspbian, and is not the same as Debian definitely. Now we have
a full rebuild of Debian - just wheezy - while things could have been
done inside the project).

As well as not adapting easily enough to how other people does stuff. We
all love APT, but is not the only way to do stuff. Some communities like
the Node.js handles their own packages in a different way and a little
bit of comprehension about this have moved people to prefer SmartOS
which is really hard to understand at the beggining for their servers
instead of the more common Debian distribution. (Being myself a
developer on Node.js full-time, I'm not even using a single .deb package
for handling my Node.js needs. Using .debs would create conflicts with
most people workflow).

These are just 2 examples which could bring huge amount of people into
Debian and don't depend on local Debian groups but specialized ones.

--
Jose Luis Rivas
http://joseluisrivas.net/