Re: Survey of new contributors -- results

On 07/08/13 at 21:57 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 09:52:41PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > | It seems that we could get better at listing possible contributions. For
> > | example, we could have a 'apt-list-possible-contributions' tool that would
> > | list installed packages that are orphaned or RFAed.
>
> Like wnpp-alert?

Clearly, we have many useful and interesting packages that are orphaned,
and would be quite easy to maintain for newcomers. If prospective
contributors don't identify them as possible targets, it means that
wnpp-alert fails to advertise such contribution targets to newcomers.

Why? How can we fix that?

- I think that wnpp-alert is still relatively unknown

- wnpp-alert is not intrusive. Personally, I tend to run it once or
  twice a year to demo it to people, and that's all (shame on me).
  Setting it up in a way that reports newly orphaned packages is not
  completely trivial (you can run it with --diff in a cron job, but
  then you need a local mail setup). Something more intrusive like
  apt-listchanges or apt-listbugs could give better results.

- wnpp-alert only reports about packages in WNPP. we could report about
  other possible targets for contribution. For example, we are not very
  good at identifying packages that should be orphaned, but there are
  quite simple criterias that can be used to determine packages where
  the maintainer could use some help.

Lucas