Re: gravatar on bugs.debian.org - acceptable or not?

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 07:38:23AM -0700, Holger Levsen wrote:
> That said, I do like the idea to display peoples pictures in the BTS,
> I just don't like that "avatars" are randomly made up when those pics
> don't exist

I don't know if anything apart from gmane still actively uses picons[0],
or if the limited colour palette is still sane in this day and age, but
the picon-{users,domains} packages were last updated last May. Using
that, you could either default to the domain logo/country flag like
gmane does when there's no associated user picon, or default to no
image, and display the user's picon when it exists.

> I'd prefer if those pictures could _also_ be fetched from some
> debian.org/debian.net ressource, just like the hackergotchis on
> planet, maybe even just using those.

If you used picons, they'd be server from a local debian.org/debian.net
ressource. You would probably want to provide an better means of
updating the database than waiting for the package to be updated though.
Either sync from picons upstream[1] (users DB was last updated on the
the 12th, the domains DB on the 14th) and have people submit there, or
allow people to submit a picon to the local DB[2], and just source from
there.  (You could probably import planet hackergotchis into your
personal DB).

Best wishes,
Ryan

[0] http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/index.html
[1] ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/faces/picons/db/
[2] http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/faq.html#lookup

--
|_)|_/	Ryan Kavanagh		| Debian Developer