Re: Generation of FOAF profiles for all package maintainers (POC)

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> I note that some DDs URLs don't work, for example:
>
> http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/js

Yes, known issue : Jonas uploads with other email addresses, so the
Maintainer fileds on which I'm based (remember it's using the same
scripts as the www.d.o/devel/people) don't report him as a maintainer.

His profile, so far is at
http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/dr%40jones.dk

I'll fix this some day.

> Some mail URLs don't work either:
>
> http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/pabs@debian.org
> http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/pabs%40debian.org

Yes, because for most Debian project members (those that sign the
Maintainer fields using their Debian email), they are found at URLs like:

http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/pabs#

But again, this needs to be addressed.

I'm thinking of only one canonical URI to identify people, with several
ways to access it, and aliases (I'm not sure everyone is familiar with
the concepts of URI for identification of resources on the Semantic Web,
distinct from the location of documents describing it, the URL... sorry
if this isn't completely clear, and feel free to ask for more details).

So for instance, all these URLs would deliver the same Turtle document :
 - http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/js
 - http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/js@debian.org
 - http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/dr%40jones.dk

Which would contain something like :

<http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/js#agent>
   a foaf:Person ;
   owl:sameAs <http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/js%40debian.org> ;
   owl:sameAs <http://webid.debian.net/maintainers/dr%40jones.dk> .

I'm not completely sure about this modeling... and frankly, until we
have real use cases, like using the WebID to perform authentication,
this is still quite theoretical.

> The lower-casing probably shouldn't be done, since the user part of
> email addresses is usually case-sensitive. It also makes it harder to
> automatically link to.

I'm not so fond of URIs with mixed case for canonical URIs, and it's
usually not that hard to force everything to lowercase...
But that could be changed... again, depending on use case, etc.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,

P.S.: /me looking at the ddportfolio Pylons app in //
--
Olivier BERGER
http://www-public.telecom-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP-Id: 2048R/5819D7E8