Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

On 2013-11-20 14:49:34, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Wed, November 20, 2013 19:03, anarcat wrote
>> I see your point, although I think there is a few orders of magnitudes
>> between adding improvements to the current mirror infrastructures versus
>> soldering PCBs...
>
> Debian's core activity is building the best OS in the world. Distributing
> the actual result of that is, at least in my opinion, a thing very
> peripheral to that activity. The fact that Debian has always shied away
> from making CD's and distrbuting those to users but rather left that to
> commercial and non-commercial parties, indicates that this is not a novel
> development.
>
> We allow (and promoted) commercial CD services. I see delivery over the
> network not as a fundamentally different thing than delivery on CD. It's
> not the thing Debian is necessarily good at. Let us concentrate on the OS
> building.

Hosting mirrors wasn't our core activity either 20 years ago, yet we had
to distribute this thing somehow. I would argue that distributing
Debian, regardless of the mechanism (CDNs, mirror infrastructure, CDs)
is as much part of making the software real as pushing packages to
ftp-master...

>> which are based on a spirit of free access and open knowledge, something
>> commercial CDNs seem to be alien to...
>
> I have not seen any indication that commercial CDN's would necessarily be
> "alien" to "free access and open knowledge", in fact, it would seem rather
> contrary to their nature to hinder access to content.

To take an example of one of the proposed CDNs, Amazon has been actively
destroying data on people's e-readers, 1984 of all books. This would
qualify as simply hostile.

I would also point out that none of the CDNs *publish* the software they
develop as free software. They may *use* free software, but they built
their business on proprietary software on top of our hard work.

That is what I meant.

A.

--
Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster.
                         - Wirth's law