Re: Code of Conduct: picking up

Op 05-11-13 19:47, Ian Jackson schreef:
> Wouter Verhelst writes ("Code of Conduct: picking up"):
>> Anyway. The story so far:
>> - I posted a draft update of the code of conduct to this list in may[1],
>>   upon which a short discussion was started
>> - It was suggested that the draft wasn't ambitious enough, so I wrote a
>>   much more ambitious one during debcamp, and held a BoF[2] during
>>   debconf where much of it was discussed
>> - I posted the working document that we'd produced during that BoF to
>>   this list shortly after the BoF had finished[3], which did generate
>>   some comments, but not much progress.
>> # Debian Code of Conduct
> Most of this is unobjectionable, although I would have preferred
> something much more
>> ## Try to be concise.
> concise :-).
> However, I think there are a couple of parts that need to be improved.
> Firstly:
>> ## In case of problems.
>> While this code of conduct should be adhered to by participants, we
>> recognize that sometimes people may have a bad day, or be unaware of
>> some of the rules in this code of conduct. When that happens, you may
>> reply to them and point out this code of conduct. Such messages may be
>> in public or in private, whatever is most appropriate. However,
>> regardless of whether the message is public or not, it should still
>> adhere to the relevant parts of this code of conduct; in particular, it
>> should not be abusive or disrespectful. Assume good faith; it is more
>> likely that participants are unaware of their bad behaviour than that
>> they intentionally try to degrade the quality of the discussion.
>> Repeated offenders may be temporarily or permanently banned from
>> communicating through Debian's systems, at the DPL's (or the DPL's
>> delegates') prerogative.
> This is too weak in a number of ways.  I would:
> * Replace "Repeated offenders may be..." with "Serious or persistent
>   offenders will be...".
> * Replace "at the DPL's ... prerogative" with a new sentence
>   "Complaints should be made (in private) to the administrators
>    of the Debian communication forum in question."

Yes, I like that; I've updated my draft accordingly.

>> # Medium-specific codes
>> This section contains some guidelines that are specific to one
>> particular communication medium. Note that the above general guidelines
>> still apply to each and every one of these medium-specific guidelines,
>> as well.
> I think these should not be part of the CoC.  They should be
> promulgated (or not) by the administrators for each discussion forum.
> If we're planning to adopt the CoC via a GR then it is especially
> important that these fiddly details aren't in it.

As I said, I was inclined to remove it myself. You've just convinced me
to do so :-)

> Indeed, even if we need to do this via a GR to show widespread
> approval, I still think it would be good to allow the DPL to edit it
> later.  That would make it much easier to fix things.
> I would suggest that the GR should explicitly say that the DPL is
> empowered to make changes to the Code of Conduct according to the
> usual process for a DPL decision.

Hmm. I'm leaning towards this, but I'm not 100% sure yet. It should be
safe (after all, the DPL is someone who, by definition, is supposed to
be trusted by the community), but it feels a bit irky.

> If we do that then it becomes easy to include a list of links to the
> forum-specific codes of conduct, and/or a list of complaint addresses.

>> ## More?
>> # Further reading
>> The links in this section do not refer to documents that are part of
>> this code of conduct, nor are they authoritative within Debian. However,
>> they do contain useful information on how to conduct oneself on our
> "on our..." ?  Missing words.

... communication channels. Fixed, thanks for spotting.

>> - The [Debian Community Guidelines](http://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/)
>>   by Enrico Zini contain some advice on how to communicate effectively.
>> - <link to documentation on what to do in case of technical problems>
> I guess this section is tolerable, particularly if the DPL is
> empowered to add more links and remove stale ones.

This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/