Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

On 10/26/2013 02:26 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:
> Am 26.10.2013 um 19:46 schrieb Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
>
>> This led to a philosophical debate about whether bans should be made public.
>> Alexander expressed concern that having them published could be harmful to a
>> person's reputation, since employers will google your name and see that
>> you've been banned from a large project such as Debian.
>

> I agree with Alexanders concern here. Publishing other peoples personal data without prior allowance might even violate privacy legislation in some countries.

It's data that's already being published by themselves when they publish
anything into the mailing lists. Their name and email. This will not
violate any law.

And making it public is just following Debian's Social Contract: not
hidding our problems.

Transparency in all our procedures is crucial for a project like Debian
and that's why I support Steve's request.

This will allow to know why people gets banned too, so we can make the
administrator accountable for their decisions.

I think this is a win-win situation.

Kind Regards.
--
The Debian Project - http://debian.org/