Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

Stephen Gran wrote:
> We have had one
> report that someone gets better throughput off of their existing mirror
> than they do from one of the CDNs offering their support.  If we get
> better coverage for a small number of users and worse coverage for most
> of our existing users, that's clearly not a tradeoff worth making.

One advantage of us being the ones controlling the service is that we can
easily incorporate the contributions from those commercial CDNs into the
existing mirrors network.  As mentioned by James Bromberger during his DC13
presentation, cloudfront is already in use by http.debian.net for users who
would actually benefit from it.

I personally welcome those contributions from commercial CDNs to improve the
final service to our users.  If any company other than AWS would like to
offer its service to Debian I'm happy to work on adding them to http.d.n.

They do require a bit more work as they can not be added to the mirrors
master list - they are "dumb" caching proxies that can not guarantee the
consistency of the view of the archive they provide. Here's where I disagree
with Russ as a piece of software is needed to address that, it's not all
about the network.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer