From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
To: debian-project@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: Proposal #3: Upstream/Debian Project donations (was:
 PaySwarm-based donations)

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:53:42AM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Donations from end-users are highly likely to go mainly to highly
> visible projects, such as Firefox/Iceweasel and LibreOffice.

But doesn't this problem already exist with the status quo?

Let's assume that Firefox, LibreOffice, FSF, and Piuparts all solicit
donations upstream. Some of them will be more visible and, more
generally, better than others at doing so. They will get more money even
if, according to your own judgement, they "deserve" less. That's the
basic unfairness of any opt-in donation mechanism.

A mechanism that makes it easier, via a more consistent interface /
better tooling, to donate to recipients that *already* seek for
donations, doesn't solve that problem. But AFAICT it doesn't make it
worse either.

On the other hand, I agree as well that something like this is no longer
Debian-specific, and should be better discussed / adopted at a
cross-distro level, relying on existing standards (e.g. DOAP) if
available.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack@upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o