Re: when/how DDs can use the Debian name

This one time, at band camp, Daniel Pocock said:

> There are many places where a DD may have an opportunity to use the
> Debian name in a public sense.
>
> However, I just want to seek some clarification about this

I don't think we have any guidelines, and I don't think we want to write
completely proscriptive guidelines about this, do we?

> For example, if somebody is talking at some non-Debian IT event, and
> they need to specify their organisation and position on their profile
> could they simply put:

>   Position:      Debian Developer
>
> or is this a privilege that is only reserved for office holders and
> potentially the DPL's delegates?

It's certainly not reserved.  Maybe some common sense - is there
some reason to use Debian's name?  I would personally feel like it was
inappropriate to use Debian's name to lend weight to a talk/paper/argument
I was making when that talk/paper/argument wasn't actually about Debian.
I would also feel it inappropriate to go somewhere and state that I
represented Debian in any way except the narrow areas of the project
where I participate.

On the other hand, if I was going to an IT conference and not going in
relation to my paid job, I might put my role as something about Debian,
just to have something on my nametag and to give people an idea of the
sorts of things I'm interested in.

These are my feelings, and are not the result of a hasty conversation in
a smoke-filled back room by members of the Cabal.  TINC.