Re: 2nd draft

On 24-05-13 14:57, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> Thanks, Wouter.
>
> First: would it be appropriate for there to be a point about context-quoting,
> or inline quoting, or more precicely not either top-posting nor bottom posting
> with no trimming? (my phrasing is bad.)

I've actually removed some comments about not using HTML text and
wrapping lines at 80 characters etc, because it's less related to how we
behave towards one another; this similarly feels less related.

In addition, the point was raised that perhaps we should not limit the
scope of the code of conduct to just our mailinglists; that it should
also encompass other forms of communication within Debian. This holds
some merit, I suppose, and would make it even less related than it is
today.

To do all this, I've been considering splitting it all up into several
pieces:
- One bit which would be the actual "code of conduct" and which would be
  as independent as possible of the medium used. This would only be
  about "conduct", not about form.
- Perhaps some bits to go into "further reading" and/or a "technical
  section", which would (amongst other things) contain instructions on
  form (as opposed to actual content). This could contain the comments
  about not using HTML and attachments, and presumably also could have
  some language on proper quoting. However, it wouldn't be part of the
  CoC proper (because it's about form, not about conduct).

Doing that will take some time, though, so it will probably take a few
days for me to come up with that.

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:52:42AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> 6. You should avoid sending attachments; this generates a lot of
>>    unnecessary bandwidth on our listservers. Instead, put the file you
>>    would like to attach online somewhere and post a link.
>
> Should PGP/MIME signatures be explicitly mentioned as an exception?

Yes, probably.

> For that matter should we specifically note that inline PGP is
> discouraged? (is it?)

I'm not sure. I'm also not sure it matters all that much.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/