Re: Debating difficult development issues in essay form

Hi,

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 08:45:08PM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> We think discussions on Debian development mailing lists sometimes
> suffer from repetition of facts, opinions, and arguments. During a
> long discussion of a controversial topic, it is hard for anyone to
> keep track of what has been said, and so everything tends to get
> repeated.

+1

I really like this idea.  The only problem I have is: How to know in
advance whether a debate might concern a "difficult development issue"
or not.  For instance when I wrote my first mail about uscan
enhancement[1] I did not expected this to be a complex topic but the
various threads afterwards have shown this later.  We intuitively
followed your suggestion by creating[2] but I'm not yet fully convinced
that this is a "difficult development issue".

Using this example as criterion I'd say we are seeing something that
qualifies as "difficult development issue" if:

  1. At least 10 postings on this topic (with "on this topic" I mean
     *really* on topic and no troll / fun posts)
  2. At least two different threads to the same topic both with at
     least five postings.

I know that the numbers are perfectly debatable but I'm mentally using
these.  I would not see these criterions as a requirement to enter a
Wiki Debate but I would recommend starting a Wiki Debate if the
criterion is met.

Considering this would you agree to turn [2] into a Debate or would
you apply further creterions for this?

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/08/msg00380.html