Re: Registering the Debian Logo as our trademark?

Le Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 07:51:06AM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Le Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 04:04:34PM -0400, Brian Gupta a écrit :
> >
> > Cons:
> > -----
> > - Filing costs of ~$700
> > - Labor/work required to file (With assistance from SFLC, I am willing
> > to do much of the work required.)
>
> I wonder how will be the cost of a registered trademark on the mid term, for
> instance 5 or 10 years.  Will it trigger more payments to other offices,
> similarly to our effort of maintaining "debian" domain names in multiple
> top-level domains ?  Is the payment to be renewed periodically ?  In parallel,
> since the assistance of SFLC is a resource that we can not expand nor buy with
> money, will the possession of a registration trademark take a significant share
> of the assistance we can receive ?

Hi Brian,

as suggested by Lucas on debian-devel-announce, before Debian proceeds with
formally registering its logo, I would like to ask again a clarification on
the strategy for the registration.

A simulation on http://www.wipo.int indicates that registering in all possible
countries would cost 60,425 Swiss francs (~65,000 US dollars).  For the renwal,
I figured out that it is once every 10 years in each countries that I
checked.

So the upper bound for the annual cost would still be in the order of thousands
of dollars.

The lower bound would be to register in a single country, with a cost of less
of a hundred dollars per year.

I would like to know what is the strategy that is taken (is the registration in
the USA the starting point, or is it the only country that we aim), and what is
the expected effect (if there is a hostile company or group that is determined
to use our image and reputation where we fail to protect it adequately, how
effective would be the strategy of registering in a single country).

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan