Re: Registering the Debian Logo as our trademark?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 04:58:27PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:

>> > Note guidelines. We don't actually restrict use.

>> > We really can't. It's now DFSG free. Folks can, legally speaking, do
>> > anything with it, now. There's still the restricted-use logo, which was
>> > left as-is, ISTR.

>> > Do any of these also have a DFSG free logo? I know GNOME at least has
>> > been pissy about our use of their foot on some bug report / ml post I
>> > read.
>>
>> Regarding the logo being licensed (under Copyright law) with a DFSG
>> approved license, this does not impact our ability to file it as a
>> registered Trademark.
>>
>> While this is confusing, and not a universal practice, other projects
>> have followed this practice of releasing the artwork of their logo
>> under Free Software copyright licenses, while still managing them as a
>> Registered Trademark.
>> 1) KDE logo is licensed under LGPL and is a registered Trademark:
>> http://www.kde.org/stuff/clipart.php
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Guidelines/CIG/KDE_Logo
>> 1) Gnome foot is licensed under LGPL/GPL and is a registered
>> Trademark: (Pretty much all artwork including the foot is licensed
>> under Copyright law under LGPL/GPL).
>> 3) Gentoo - Registered as TM and released under Free Software licenses
>> here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/artwork/artwork.xml
>>
>> Do remember that Copyright law covers the right to copy and modify,
>> while Trademark law covers the ability to use a word, or graphic to
>> represent a brand or entity. A particular representation of a
>> Trademark, can be licensed in a liberal fashion, allowing copying and
>> modification, but still be managed under Trademark law, when it comes
>> to representation of a "brand". In all the above cases the project's
>> TM policy would take precedence over the Copyright policy, when it
>> comes to the specific case of representation of project/brand. (As it
>> does with our logo today.)
>
> It's my impression that if a trademark is unenforced, one can't start
> selectively asserting the trademark for others.

We do have the ability to be selective in granting of licenses to use
our TM. If there are undocumented, unlicensed uses of the TM that the
project supports, we need to document them and get them under license.
On the flip side, if there are undocumented uses of the TM, that we do
not support, we should challenge them. We could also augment our TM
policy to be more explicit about what uses of the logo are allowed,
but it is my opinion that it would probably be best to leave those to
be dealt with on a case by case basis for now, as it keeps our policy
simpler.

> Doesn't that mean, in that case, that the license is meaningless, since
> they could never ever use it anyway, even if they have the right to
> remix it?

Meaningless, I would say not. However it might not produce the results
one might expect when combined with our TM policy, which states: "Do
not use the Debian logos as part of your company logo or product logo
or branding itself. They can be used as part of a page describing your
products or services."

Remember our Trademarks can always be used in a nominative fashion, to
refer to the project/product iself.