Re: linux-libre - are we collaborating with them?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 02:52:37PM -0400, Kẏra wrote:
> I think it would be great for Debian to put together a plan to eventually
> use the linux-libre kernel by default.

In an ideal world, we could run our computers using only free
firmware.  In the world as it is, all our computers run non-free
firmware[*], and there is rarely any commercial incentive for hardware
vendors to change that.  Where firmware is not installed in
non-volatile memory it must be loaded via the kernel.

* See <http://mjg59.livejournal.com/91123.html>

> If i understand correctly, the
> linux-libre kernel doesn't just remove proprietary blobs from the kernel,
> but also attempts to reverse-engineer them so that functionality isn't
> always just lost.

Really, could you point to an example of this?

> If Debian were to join the efforts of keeping linux-libre
> up to date, it seems like it would result in a more functional Debian
> before adding the proprietary bits. The only reason to not just make the
> switch is that I think Debian should help bring (and keep) the linux-libre
> kernel up to date with the mainline kernel.

linux-libre is fundamentally in disagreement with the Debian Social
Contract.  Debian respects the rights of users to choose non-free
software.  linux-libre does not.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings