Re: linux-libre - are we collaborating with them?

I think it would be great for Debian to put together a plan to eventually use the linux-libre kernel by default. If i understand correctly, the linux-libre kernel doesn't just remove proprietary blobs from the kernel, but also attempts to reverse-engineer them so that functionality isn't always just lost. If Debian were to join the efforts of keeping linux-libre up to date, it seems like it would result in a more functional Debian before adding the proprietary bits. The only reason to not just make the switch is that I think Debian should help bring (and keep) the linux-libre kernel up to date with the mainline kernel.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 01:32:34PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> [CC'ing kxra, who isn't subscribed, please keep kxra on CC]
>

> Heyya,
>
> Anyone play with the linux-libre[1] project? Does the kernel team know
> about this stuff? It seems like we're trying for the same sort of thing
> (100% free software kernel)

I can remember at least:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/04/msg00010.html

I don't know how active Robert is in Debian these days.

--
Board of Directors, Students for Free Culture: www.freeculture.org

Blog: http://thesilentnumber.me  -  StatusNet Microblog: http://identi.ca/kxra
Email: kxra@freeculture.org  -  SMS: +1.617.340.3661