Re: authoritative list of DFSG-free licenses

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:51:54PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > Joerg, it would be nice to rebuild it adding the repolist plugin
> > http://ikiwiki.info/plugins/repolist/ , which would add the rel-vcs
> > metadata, making the following work nicely out of the box with mr:
> >   $ webcheckout http://ftp-master.debian.org/
>
> I don't see why I need a plugin (and whatever settings) for a one-line
> change, so I just went and added
>
> <link rel="vcs-git" href="http://ftp-master.debian.org/git/licenses.git"; title="licenses.git" />
>
> to the page.tmpl. It isn't supposed to change location every other day. :)
> But feel free to get me patches to change it, if you think it should.
> I'm not set on it.

Thanks. "webcheckout http://ftp-master.debian.org/"; works indeed as a
charm now.

> > I haven't found the ikiwiki configuration in Git, so I'm unable to
> > provide a patch for that.
>
> You are blind. :) It's all in git, but we don't use a setup file. The
> ikiwiki foo is in ikiwiki/ and the way we call it from our git hook is
> documented in README.

Oops, sorry :) So yes, there are no excuses to try it out and propose
patches, all is needed to test it locally is indeed there (hint hint).

> > Any taker for writing a script that gather the corresponding
> > statistics?

[ snip useful tips ]

OK, thanks for the pointers. I'll spread a bit the news about this, in
case there are volunteers interested in some dak-related hacking to get
this done.

> Technically I would think it ends up somewhere along
>
> - volunteers clone from the central place and do their work.
> - every now and then they ping one of ftp*, to have us review it, merge
>   it (or reject the change) and push it to the central place.
>
> That would allow anyone to contribute, while keeping the FTPTeam, with
> us masters being delegates, the ones who publish it. Similar like policy
> editing works, IIRC.
>
> And discussion around it, happen on IRC and (for a start)
> debian-dak@lists.debian.org.

Sound suitable to me. It just lacks one bit, IMHO, where to store
pending patches to avoid forgetting about them. Can we overload
http://bugs.debian.org/ftp.debian.org (possibly with some specific
usertagging) for this? If so, please name the desired usertags /
categories, I'll then be happy to submit a first patch ... documenting
where to report bugs against :-)

> Much more interesting is to get it all started, soooooo
>
>  - Do we have volunteers? Who wants to? Keep in mind it will start with
>    a heavy load. Which will go down when we got most of the stuff
>    documented, but it will never end.
>    Damn Humans, always get up with new licenses...

According to this thread, we got at least two (Ian, MJ, not sure about
Charles). After DPL-retiring :-), I'll be happy to help too. I guess the
natural next step is subscribing to debian-dak@lists.d.o. Please do,
everyone, if you're interested in helping with this.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .