Re: Position statements short of a GR - DPL statements

Le Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 05:39:08PM +0000, Ian Jackson a écrit :

> Up to this point in the project we have normally published only:
>
>   - GRs
>
>   - Formal policy documents issued by teams (of which the Dev Ref is
>     an example);
>
>   - Press releases
>
>   - Informal statements by individuals
>
> I think it would be useful to add a new category to this list:
>
>   - Formal policy document from the DPL

Dear Ian,

I think this goes in the right direction, but wouldn't it contradict our
constitution, which only gives to the Developers via a GR the possibility to
"Issue, supersede and withdraw nontechnical policy documents and statements"
that "may also include position statements about issues of the day" ?

>From the discussion on the diversity statement, I thought that there was a
rough consensus that the "Debian Position on Software Patents" is an example of
statement that needs a GR, and that the reason it has not been voted is lack of
motivation (why spend time for something that does not change much in practice),
rather than lack of need.

I think that to do what you propose cleanly, we would need to amend our
constitution, otherwise soon or later it will mislead Developers.  As Stefano
underlined, it will also be important to clarify whether or not the statements
are formal rules that need to be formally amended if we deviate from them.

Altoghether, I think that it would be useful to give to the DPL the possibility
to issue written statements similar to press releases describing the state of
the consensus in the project, without being binding as the consensus may
change.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy