Debian download possible or no?

Hi,

I attempted at least 10 times to figure how to download Debian... Is there really someone who has been able to download the images to have a start disk? When I go to the page where the image is supposed to be, I have a long list of folders, not the smaller idea HOW to copy them on a cd, nor if I need all the content of all the folders...
I have nothing against the idea to pay for something interesting, but not before trying it. I have even downloaded the 150 page of debian documentation on how to install, and nothing said how to get the files NOR which files -or folders.
I have tried each of the -free- options offered. None of them is working.
Is there a way to have some help -free- ?
Thank you.

Syl