Re: RFC - Changing current policy of debian.net entries

On Fri, June 22, 2012 23:01, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> There is nothing carved into stone yet! I just want to hear your
> comments on this. The key point is that lay users will not understand
> the difference between debian.net and debian.org, and we should not
> require that they do. The purpose of this RFC is to seek comment on how
> to address this concern and the above proposal is perhaps one such way.

I'm not clear why it is problematic that lay users do not know the
difference between 'official' and 'unofficial' services.

Take mentors.debian.net, perhaps the most visible debian.net service. How
is it relevant to lay users whether or not this service is officially
blessed? It works great for all parties involved. Whether or not it's
blessed is mostly a project internal issue.

The Debian security tracker has been on debian.net for years. It has been
the canonical tool for anyone working on security issues in Debian. No
problem there. (I do see why we want to run important stuff on DSA
infrasturcture. But that is a project internal issue and does not really
matter for outsiders to decide.)

There's a selection procedure for DD's, because we want to be able to
trust them to not do weird things when they post with their 'official'
debian.org email address, or when they upload any package into the
archive. If we can trust them with that, I think we can also trust them to
run services in a reasonable manner, or at least not so unreasonable that
it's necessary to put big warning signs on them.

The outside world does not really care about the difference between
debian.org and debian.net, but I do not perceive that as a problem.

Thijs