Re: Claiming the "debian" account on GitHub?

* Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> [2012-06-14 16:56:39 CEST]:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:31:39AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > I have not added links to their competitors, as I think that it would
> > be bad taste, but yes, I invite every developer to consider Free
> > alternatives such as Gitorious or Branchable.
>
> To be blunt, I think that our advocacy for software freedoms is more
> important than good taste. Given how you worded the README (i.e. along
> the lines of "some of the software we work with is already on
> GitHub..."), it would be entirely appropriate to recommend favoring
> Gitorious, Branchable or similar services over GitHub.  Especially, but
> not only, for new software.  I would also add a link to
> http://autonomo.us/2008/07/franklin-street-statement/ given that
> non-free-ness is not the only problem with GitHub-like offerings.

 Or have
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html
for a good read on the topic, out from our own people, and a bit more
recent.

 (unfortunately mako.cc seems to be not running a webservice right now,
thus the google cache version)

 So long,
Rhonda