Re: The DM status and its recognition (was: Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads)

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59:53PM +0200, Arno Töll wrote:
> even more, becoming DM seems more and more understood as a suggested and
> advised procedure towards a full DD status. I do not think this is how
> the original endorsement was meant.
>
> Moreover, at least that's my impression from hanging around in Mentoring
> mailing lists and channels, many people (and by people I mean primarily
> developer not involved in sponsoring) also consider the DM status as a
> "DD light" version, advocated to people who are known as advanced
> packagers.

I did this several times on #-mentors and I'll do it again.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer
The opening paragraphs: "It is highly recommended to be a Debian
Maintainer before applying to the Debian New Maintainers process to become
an official Debian Developer".

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper
"Becoming a Debian Developer": "You should be a Debian Maintainer for six
months before applying to the Debian New Member Process".

http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint
"It is highly recommended that you become familiar with the role of Debian
Maintainer and apply for this role before applying to become a Debian
Developer."

While these words do not mean "DM status is needed *only* for prospective
DDs", it is easy to imply that.

--
WBR, wRAR