Re: Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads

On 2012-06-11 17:18, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 04:48:17PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
That seems like a good idea, if we're in agreement that the point of
DM is to be a bridge status whilst someone works through NM. I think
that was the intention and presume it still is.

I disagree that it is always the case.

Indeed, the GR said, "Individuals may apply to become a Debian Maintainer without being in the n-m queue, or having any intention of joining the n-m queue."

It might be a popular option (due
to the fact that we highly encourage NMs to go through DM first).

However, the GR which passed also said, "Individuals may apply to the n-m process, and pass through it without becoming a Debian maintainer at any point." and "The initial relationship to the existing new-maintainer (n-m) procedure will be as an independent means of contributing to Debian."

It is extremely disappointing to me (but not surprising) that some people even discourage potential new Debian members from joining, telling them that DM status should be enough for them.

--
Moray