Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13

Russ Allbery dijo [Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 10:42:47AM -0800]:
> (... big snip ...)
> What remedy or action are you looking for here?  I don't think breaking
> the anonymity of a donation that never happened really makes sense.  Are
> you looking for site selection to be re-opened?  Further reassurance that
> the selection of the site was not influenced by the donation that didn't
> happen?

Right now, this is only bringing in unneeded (and much to the
contrary, much counterproductive) noise in a very hard to reach
agreement that AIUI had mostly been reached by the people
involved. Yes, we might have to come to this general discussion later
on. As Paul said, we might have to set guidelines on maximum anonymous
amounts later on — I guess they had not been set because we just
didn't envision this possibility. We might now have to discuss whether
or not we accept pressure (and how much of it) from green little men
coming out from flying saucers demanding us to take them to our
leader, just because there is a possibility that in the future we
might experience an alien invasion during DebConf, and then people
will start bickering on why did we choose DebConf to be held at an
alien landing site.

This was an unforseen event, that was dealt with the best way we could
(note that by "we" I mean the group — I keep out every year of the
sponsor team, as I know it's not where my energies are most
effective). The Huge Anonymous Donation^WLoan didn't take place. Can
further details be made available? I have no idea. But having this
discussion right now is really harming. Not only us as a project, but
the mental health of the people most involved in the bid and the
organization, that have invested long time in it. You are all welcome
to be a part of the DebConf team, but please, work in it for a while
before making life miserable for the rest.

> Please note: as difficult as this sort of discussion is, I actually agree
> with Ian that this sort of discussion is valuable and helps keep a
> volunteer organization healthy.  Ethics are hard.  They're tricky and
> complicated, and they can always, *always*, be handled better.  There's no
> perfect way of handling situations, and always possible improvements, and
> the way that one works out those improvements is through public
> discussion.  Having this sort of public discussion of one's decisions is
> really painful, since it can feel personal and feel like an attack on
> one's honor, but I really don't think it is.  Rather, it's an
> acknowledgement that this stuff is really hard, and lots of brains
> together are sometimes required to find the best ways of handling various
> situations, particularly unprecedented ones.

Right. We have had very hard decision processes over the years. And
after all, we have come out with better policies. So, yes, we should
have a talk about this kind of topics. Maybe as a DebConf session,
maybe as a mail thread during a quieter period. Maybe something more
ample (i.e. not just regarding DebConf but as handling funds in Debian
in general). But, please, this is a very hard circumstance to bring up
the point.