Re: "Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13

On 2012-11-30 18:44, Ian Jackson wrote:
apparently some "anonymous donors" proposed to give or loan
Debconf 13 CHF40K (~Eur33K).

Can the Debconf global team, and/or the DC13 local team, please answer
the following questions ?

Since your questions remain unanswered, I just want to say as one of the DebConf Chairs that I think the questions are valid, but I personally don't know any details about this that would help clear them up.

I'm uncomfortable about the idea of such a sum of anonymous money
flowing towards Debconf.  One natural worry would be that it would
come with strings attached.

Certainly at the time many people within the DebConf team were uncomfortable that this "anonymous donation" was used to argue that we didn't need to worry about the high prices at Le Camp, and to argue that we should definitely choose Le Camp since this money was only available if we went there.

As has been stated already in this thread, after some questioning it subsequently turned out that it wasn't really a donation anyway, but a loan with the intention of providing liquidity at an early stage, and the DebConf budget team decided it was not useful to accept the offer since alternative and less mysterious liquidity sources were available.

--
Moray